Thursday, June 5, 2014

Approaching the 1st birthday

On June 21, 2013, I cast on for this shawl pattern from the Purl Bee  There are 12 rows in each pattern repeat - half of those are lace rows, half are purl rows. 

Two weeks into the pattern, I had about this much to show for my efforts. (Initial post).



By September, I started to get a hang of the pattern repeats but was still likely frogging almost as much as I was knitting.  It was a battle of continually counting and counting.




Then I (re) discovered the value of stitch markers -- even though the lace pattern is different each row so you have to keep moving the stitch markers, it is still helpful to have every 14 stitches marked.




By January, it was roughly 26 inches long.   This will be a definite wrap yourself in it shawl.



Now, 340 days later, the shawl is 3/4 of the way done and roughly 40 inches long and looks like this.

Only 4 of these left to go....



I only watch tv for a few hours each week.  But when I do watch, I need to be doing some handiwork.  If there are no quilts to be bound, knitting is what I do.

I really, really, really want to get this done soon.  Before the project turns a year old - not likely.  But before fall?  I sure do hope so.

It is really good I am enjoying the process!  (smile)


Happy Stitching!

3 comments:

  1. I've given up on stitch markers for lace because of having to move them all the time - thanks for saying it actually works; I will have to try it again! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great! Keep going..you are almost there! I know what yo mean about only a few hours a week. Back in the day when I was full time working mom of 2 and all that entails... Friday nights were my only time to do crewel (that is what I was working with at the time as I didn't have room for sewing machine etc.) I'd do my crewel while watching Dallas and Falcon Crest...8-10pm. I didn't want the kids watching them so they were to go to their rooms, do whatever and if they were still awake at 10 they could come downstairs...and Saturday nights were their nights with the tv and to stay up late! Oh the memories!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A very beautiful shawl. It will be worth every moment you have spent knitting it. Great colour choice.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a stitch...