Tuesday, August 2, 2011

My favorite things

Home from our wonderful week long vacation at the beach.  

There was plenty of time for beach combing - I found about a dozen pieces of sea glass.... (Water bottle cap in photo for size compare.)


time for watching the sunrise (I woke up early every day - go figure) ....

time for a Wild Horse Adventure Tour.  (Decedents from horses brought to the outer banks in the 1500s live wild.  There are about 120 horses in a protected area of the island.  There are some beach houses there - but the area is only accessible with a 4 wheel drive car.  We rented a jeep and joined a tour and saw about a dozen wild horses including 3 very young ones.)  As you can see, they aren't actually fenced in here.  They roam in herds.


and for quilting.

I was using these HST blocks as my "leader and ender" blocks with the full intent of assembling a very simple HST quilt like the photo.  (These were a set of charm squares all shades of blue batiks.)

But then I decided on pinwheels.  Can't explain why - they just called out to me!  But now I am torn between a very traditional placement or one that look more like this - picture these across white fabric.

I started this assembling without any measuring ahead - essentially creating a very large crazy quilt.  Didn't get far because I am still a bit undecided.  This is what I have so far- clearly in desperate need to be ironed.  Someone unclear where I am headed with this so I will put it aside for a few days and think about it.


Finally, a week or so ago, I went to a Sound of Music sing-a-long with my daughter.  Just wanted to say we had a blast.   They gave you a little bag when you entered of 'props' to use during the movie.  There was a noise maker for the first kiss, pictures of Maria to hold up during the 'How do you solve a problem like Maria' song and instructions for the hand motions to be used in the 'Do, Re, Me' song.   Singing along with everyone else was incredibly fun.


Some folks came in costume.  I thought the most creative was the 'brown paper packages tied up with string' - see the far left of the photo.


Happy Stitching!

2 comments:

  1. I am going to the Outer Banks in a couple weeks - I can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love pin wheel quilts. I've never made one but it's top of my list for when i do!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a stitch...