Monday, August 29, 2011

Hurricane Irene

Aside from some very strong wind gusts and some needed rain, we escaped the wrath of Hurricane Irene here in central NC.   My family in NJ reported lots of rain and one of my sisters is dealing with water in her basement.  My thoughts and best wishes are with those who had many worse things to deal with.


I made use of the day stuck home with extra time at my sewing machine.


I saw this great tutorial for double pinwheel blocks at Always Expect More and decided to give this a try.  Pinwheels are clearly one of my favorite blocks.




The block uses 4 charms squares and finished at 4 1/2 inches after squaring off.  I used squares from a Hullabaloo charm pack and then cut 4 1/2 squares from a Lollipop solid from my stash.   This will be 16 x 12 when finished.




This was very fun to assemble!   This is for my DD to hang in her room over her desk and I've have added to a pile of  a number of small things I am getting ready to FMQ.   Looking at next weekend - 3 day weekend!! - as an opportunity to get a number of these small projects done.


Since I was just playing, I didn't concentrate as much on accuracy as I should have and didn't press along the way.  So clearly far from perfect but it was fun.  I will make this block again and spend a bit more time on it.


Have a great week.


Happy Stitching!

3 comments:

  1. With Irene around, spending the weekend sewing was a great idea! Love these double pinwheel blocks.. the quilt is going to be so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you escaped the worst of the storm!

    ReplyDelete
  3. In Clayton we had a lot of wind and rain, but not hurricane force anything. Cleaned OUT all the trees but left them standing. I sure do like your Sweet Tea - not sure if you shared where the pattern came from or not, but would love to know. Thanks from Judy C in NC

    ReplyDelete

Leave a stitch...