Wednesday, April 25, 2012

FMQ April Challenge

April's FMQ Challenge by SewCalGirl involved learning a new method for transferring FMQ designs onto fabric.  The only other time I attempted to transfer a FMQ quilt design was a few months ago when I used a light box kitchen window.  Although it got the job done, it was a bit awkward.


This method involves using a piece of tulle to transfer the design - you first trace onto the tulle with a sharpie and then from the tulle to the fabric with a fabric safe pen.   I was certain I had a piece of tulle somewhere but found only a spool of tulle about 6 inches wide in my (messy) closet. 




 Given the symmetry of the design we were transferring, I made it work by coping 2/3s of the design and then rotating my hoop to finish copying the other 1/3 onto the fabric.






It was fun to practice my FMQ skills on such a small piece.  I quilted the backside and used a contrasting thread so I could really see what I was doing.  




The other side is actually the front - my BINGO card!




I will defiantly use this method again.  Transferring was so easy.  I do need a larger piece of tulle - the small piece worked ok - I was able to transfer the design - but the edges of the tulle were not as tight as they needed to be in the hoop.  My actual FMQ went ok - I realized afterwards that putting the pieced part down meant the mini quilt didn't glide quite as smoothly as usual.  But, it got the job done.


Final day for the Table Topper Blog hop - please enjoy visiting with our final list of ladies:





Finally, if you'd like to enter my giveaway for two FQs of beach themed fabric, please visit my blog post here.





Happy Stitching!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a stitch...