Monday, October 3, 2011

New quilting supply store - my library?

Although I've made only a few quilts from an actual pattern in a quilt book, I love buying these books and find them good sources of inspiration. When checking on my library's reservation system for a new bestseller I wanted to read, I took a look through the list of quilting books.


Look what I found!!!




I really liked three of these books and would consider purchasing them to add to my library.  They are all quite different.


Dare to be Square Quilting by Boo Davis is a wonderful book.  The quilts are different and fun!  There are owls and skeletons and very fun quilts.




Farm Girl Quilts by Tammy Johnson and Avis Shirer is a beautiful book.  I'd love to make the quilt on the cover.  It is a combination of piecing and applique.  There are two other quilt in the book - Mrs Nolan's Chicken Farm and Snow on Furrowed Ground that are beautiful two color quilts I would love to make.




This next book is call The Quiltmakers and is a collection of quilts from 8 quilt designers - Lynette Jensen, Petra Prins, Carolyn Forster, Lynette Anderson-O'Rourke, Lynne Edwards, Joanna Figueroa, Janet Bolton and Marsha McCloskey.




One of my favorites was this Feathered Star patchwork by Marsha McCloskey.




In this last one, I found the quilt project I can adapt for my Countdown to Christmas layer cake.  I just love it.  It will show the fun prints off well and seems like quite a lot of fun to assemble.


The quilt is called Fresh Vintage and is by Joanna Figueroa.




The pattern calls for yardage but I am confident I can adapt to a layer cake.  Each layer cake will yield 6 of those triangles if I cut very carefully.  I am going to use the solid red as the dominant color.  The Countdown to Christmas has some black prints.  I intend to use some of these in the quilt but this pattern will not require me not to use all of them.  



Time to sharpen the rotary cutter!



























Happy Stitching!

3 comments:

  1. Looks like I need to make a stop by the library soon!

    How exciting that you found a pattern to use your layer cake... the quilt is going to be very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool! I usually preview quilting books before I buy them. Luckily in MD you can get books from any library in the state! There are some counties with great quilting selections!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aren't you lucky? Our public library hasn't bought a new quilting book in 10 years!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a stitch...