Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Spinning pinwheels

A few weeks ago, I turned a pile of HST blue batik into pinwheels.


At first, I was randomly sewing them together reminiscent of a 'crazy quilt' pattern.  As much as I liked this looked, I wanted something small enough to quilt myself and this one was going to be too big.




I decided to set the 8 inch blocks inside a white border done somewhat 'wonky' so they would look like they were twisting and turning.


I put the first two blocks together and it created the look i wanted by setting them inside a wonky border.  Block still square but now at 9 1/2 inches.




A week went by before I had time to do 10 more of the squares.  The only problem was that I forgot how I did it the first time!  But of course I didn't notice I was doing it wrong until all ten were done.  You can see these are clearly not square.




Once I noticed my error, I had a few minutes debate on whether I should I bond with my seam ripper?


I decided to go with the quilting flow and just trim the blocks back to 8 1/2 inches square.




Eight have been sewn together so far.  I'm liking the way this looks - while it isn't quite as much spinning movement as I want, I've got some ideas that can still be incorporated.




More to come.  (About 12 more pinwheels to be precise.)


Happy Stitching!

2 comments:

  1. What you are trying to accomplish sounds very much like the X-Block concept. The ruler actually lets you cut the block so that it slants the design. You can check it out at www.x-blocks.com. Just thought I would mention. Judy C in NC - Happy Quilting

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can't go wrong with batiks! It's going to be beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a stitch...