Friday, March 4, 2011

Border is Secure

In a previous post, I was looking for some advice on what to do for a border for my current work in progress quilt.   I considered a piano key border but realized I really didn't have enough scraps from the layer cake to make this work without dipping into the light colors that I hadn't used in the quilt.


So I went with a new look.  Instead of piano keys, I call it a jewel border.  I framed the quilt in 2 1/2 inch squares made up of scraps from the blocks.  I've incorporated stars into the border - trying to suggest they are falling into the center (or out of the center).  Need a bit better lighting to show this in the picture.



I am going to then frame this in 2 1/2 inch white strip and then (probably) add a 2 -3 inch solid border on the edge and do the binding in this same color - the green dots.  (The real reason for the final border is to make this a large enough size - right now it is 56 x 44.)

Putting this quilt together and essentially designing as I went has been a blast.  I hope to post final pictures by the end of the weekend.


I will need to name this quilt - just got my monthly dose of Sweetwater label club and thinking maybe one of these names would fit. 




Happy Stitching!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a stitch...